Sunday, November 16, 2008

What a Cannibal!

Earlier this week I decided to stop being a shrew about Greek food (but just for one day) and went to a Greek restaurant with Ryan; he had been craving a gyro for a while. So I agreed to go along with the understanding that I could call gyros, "jai-rohs" all night without recieving an extensive Greek language lesson. Apparently in Greece gyro is pronounced "yee-roh" (last time I checked we're not in Greece so why pronounce it that stupid way). So there we were having a happy family dinner when Ryan decided to feed Peter some of his gyro and he (Peter) liked it way more than my chicken souvlaki! What's the problem with that you ask? Ryan's gyro was LAMB! Again, you ask what's the problem? Peter is supposed to feed sheep, not eat them! Don't worry, I'll explain.

For those who don't know, Peter's full name is Peter Churchill [Surname]. He is named after two of my heros: the Apostle Peter and Winston Churchill. Peter has always been my favorite figure from the scriptures because he always seemed so human and passionate (I can relate to him). I envy his relationship with and testimony of the Lord. I really couldn't think of a better person to name my son after, and luckily (for him) Ryan agreed. And of course Peter fit all of my name requirements (it would be an understatement to say I am obsessed with names--I waste way too much time on my theories and rules about naming).

And there was an extra bonus that came along with the name Peter: sheep. In the often quoted scripture St. John 21:15-17, Jesus Christ asks Peter if he loves Him. Peter affirms that he does. Jesus then tells Peter to "feed my sheep." Through his name, our Peter would have a constant reminder of the importance of missionary work. That combined with my fondness for sheep (I think I took more pictures of sheep while in Ireland than anything else!) I chose a sheep theme for Peter's nursery. I thought it was particularly appropriate for him considering his namesake. So for almost 2 years Peter has been slumbering surrounded by numerous sheep on his bedding and multiple plush sheep on his shelves. So I find it more than a little disturbing than Peter not only ate lamb but that he liked it so much.

Peter's quilt

Peter sleeping surrounded by sheep

2 comments:

  1. Kristin, You and me always say things our own way, it might not be correct in the world but in ours it's just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up...at least Peter will try different foods. Its the pits to have a picky eater.

    ReplyDelete