Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Turkey Day!

My aunt Robbie sent me this photo and I couldn't resist using it!

I thought I would share a few quotes on Thanksgiving.

"I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land." —Jon Stewart

"Thanksgiving is America's national chow-down feast, the one occasion each year when gluttony becomes a patriotic duty (in France, by contrast, there are three such days: Hier, Aujourd'hui and Demain)." —Michael Dresser

Thanksgiving is my second favorite holidy (Christmas is first ofcourse!). Unfortunately, I need an annual holiday to remind myself of all my blessings. For me Thanksgiving is a time to be with family and to express gratitude. It's also a time to rededicate myself in matching my actions to my feelings of gratitude. I love the following quote by President John F. Kennedy:

"As we express our gratitude, we must never foreget that the highest
expectation is not to utter words, but to live by them."

I think Thanksgiving is a perfect start to the holiday season; it sets the tone as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ during the month of December. That's why I'm so bothered by the way Halloween and Christmas are squeezing out Thanksgiving. I love the Christmas season but I don't want it's ever earlier celebrations to demote Thanksgiving to simply a day off dedicated to food and football. Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes may be a crazy old coot but I thought he did a great job decrying the passing over of Thanksgiving.

All right, go eat your turkey and pumpkin pie.

2 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving is not a national holiday just to give us a few days off. There was a reason for it, to give thanks and spend time with those we care about the most, FAMILY. I'm with you Kristin, the country has gone crazy. The horrors of "Black Friday" shopping and the way people act, you know how they spent Thanksgiving, reading the shopping ads and planning out their strategies. (I did go shopping at 5am, but I just calmly stood in line and waited my turn). Really I went to just say I was one of those crazy people.
    Your quotes were great. Hope you had a fun day with your family.

    ReplyDelete