Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hair Pressure

Peter pre-haircut

I must be a weak person—I've finally succumbed to all the peer pressure regarding Peter's hair. I loved his crazy curly hair. I thought it made him unique in a family full of straight hair and it definitely added to his boisterous persona (because running around and screaming isn't enough). Unfortunately, there is a group of dissenters out there that do not appreciate Peter's luscious locks (jealous, perhaps?!). It's too long, he looks like a girl, it's scruffy, he looks like a baby, he has a mullet, blah blah blah blah blah.

I finally got tired of hearing those well-meaning (but wrong) pleadings. So on Friday I decided to make Ryan and the others happy (but mainly Ryan because I just love him so much!) and took Peter to get his second haircut. I was more than a little worried because his first haircut this past April produced many tears. But this time around Peter was a trooper. He stayed still and didn't cry a single time. Generally, he didn't look happy (and why should he, he was having his awesome hair cut off!) but he did crack a smile at the end. The lady who cut his hair layered it to emphasize the natural waves and curl in Peter's hair (I think that means Peter is a metrosexual). I like his compromise haircut; his hair still has some length and curl, but it is off his neck, out of his eyes, and clean-cut around the ears. Peter was happy because he got to play for 15 minutes on the store's slide when his haircut was done.

I think Peter enjoyed his first haircut in April, don't you?


A much happier, quieter and calmer second haircut


Playing on the slide

4 comments:

  1. It looks darling! It still is curly... and Peter looks happy with it. What a cute kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...what is with all the pressure to get their hair cut? N didn't want to get E's hair cut but I was feeling some weird vague pressure to get it done. I finally gave in this weekend too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone who belittles P's haircut is envious of his hair.

    The compromise haircut was a good choice. You cleaned up the edges and shortened the length - which should appease his critics for a little while, yet you maintained the curls that make girls green with envy. Good job on selecting the stylist :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a traumatic experience. When we tried to cut Quinten's curly hair the first time (everyone kept calling him a girl), Tom used electric clippers. When he turned them on Quinten turned his head and the clippers zipped up the side of his head. We had to buzz cut his whole head. The curls never grew back.

    ReplyDelete