Tuesday, November 11, 2008

55 Years!

My grandparents (Oma and Opa) had their 55th wedding anniversary on October 23rd. No one in the family made a big deal about it because we are all too self absorbed and busy...no, actually we had a surprise party planned for them this past weekend. My dad and his four siblings thought that 55 years of marriage is something worth celebrating (that and they did nothing for their parents' 50th!). So family came from all across the country (Washington, Idaho, Arizona, California, Ohio, and Pennsylvania) and hid out until Saturday afternoon. Through lies and deception (the foundation of every good surprise) my dad brought Oma and Opa to the church where we were waiting. I really think it meant it a lot to them to have their children and grandchildren gather together to celebrate them and their marriage. All five of their children were there and 12 of their 18 grandchildren came along with all 5 of their great-grandchildren (not that my grandparents look old enough to have great-grandchildren. I love you Oma!).

I also think my grandparents liked having a large family meal where they didn't have to cook (both are amazing cooks)! My mom and aunts had prepared mounds (I'm not kidding) of yummy food and my cousin Kayla and her husband Kent helped things stay interesting and fun with several games. My mom and I (translation: my mom) were responsible for the decorations. My mom came up with some awesome ideas (like usual) and asked me to figure out a way to display Oma and Opa's wedding pictures. I cleaned them up in Photoshop and added a background and did other miscellaneous things to them which no one but me would ever care about. (As you read in the previous post, I did this all twice thanks to my computer crashing. I didn't get my computer back until after the party so I had to redo everything on my parents' computer.) I put them all on a CD and had them printed at Alphagraphics on nice thick and glossy 11x14 paper. I think they turned out great (my grandpa wanted all of them).

One of my favorite photos from Oma and Opa's wedding

Anyway I think Saturday was a success. I think we all made my grandparents really happy--both cried (Opa said he just had something in his eyes!). Marriage isn't always easy and so seeing my grandparents still in love after 55 years was awesome. They are definitely an inspiration.

5 comments:

  1. "Marriage isn't always easy"...? That's it, I'm taking away the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always easy just say yes,ok,you can have it, and I will make more. I think Kathy says it more than me. I'm the spoiled one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great summary of a fabulous day. You and your mom (and your dad) did a wonderful job putting the whole event together. The food, decorations and fun were perfect. In 23 years will you host my 55th?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a great job with the photos. I would like to request a CD...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marriage isn't easy unless you are married to Ryan, duh!

    I'd like to take credit for the party, but it was pretty much my mom. I'm just glad I was able to help by doing the photos. I'd be happy to send a CD with them to anyone who wants one. Email me your address and I will send one to you.

    ReplyDelete