Friday, October 31, 2008

Mmm...Candy Corn


Today is Halloween (I can read a calendar!) and that means my days are numbered…my days with candy corn that is. There is just something about those tricolor triangles I can't get enough of. Candy corn is the best Halloween candy—definitely not those weird and hard half peanut butter-half taffy misconcoctions (like my new word?) wrapped in black and orange. Candy corn is Halloween (just like Peeps are Easter and conversation hearts are Valentine’s Day).

I think candy corn is the perfect candy for Halloween because neither one of them makes much sense. I mean October 31st is dually a cutesy and fun day populated with princesses, cowboys, and ladybugs; and a gruesome and satanic day infested with serial killers, vampires, and skanks. I love candy corn even though they don’t taste that great. The bag makes a big deal about them being made with real honey. I can’t taste the honey (or the corn either). And why are they white, orange, and yellow striped? If I husked a cob of corn and saw that it had white, orange, and yellow kernels, I would ask for my money back. Well, I think I will end this post so I can go finish my last handful (or 14 handfuls) of candy corn until next year. I apologize for wasting your time with my musings on candy corn (I'll send you a bag to make up for it).

5 comments:

  1. I love candy corn. But I like Indian corn even better. Did you know that's what they call the brown, orange, and white ones? Love them. I'm on my third bag. Oh, and one of my kids has been calling them China Corn... which makes me laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. China Corn! I like that, I think I'll start calling them that. I actually don't like the Indian corn as much. But they have some milkmaid caramel ones that are red, white and brown; they're pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy corn is my favorite. I stock up on it so it will last through the winter. I prefer the "Mix" that has the traditional, Indian corn, and the pumpkins. I love the Indian corn because the bottom is chocolate and anything with chocolate is first rate.
    But I have always wondered, the calories say 140 for 26 pieces, but how do the pumpkins figure in? I know I am strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend was actually a Candy Corn princess for Halloween today. . . one of the kids in the class loves it so she got a tiara and glued candy corn all over it, complete with an orange shirt, yellow skirt, and white scarf.

    Though I've never been a fan of candy corn I do love the little pumpkins. I think they're probalby made up of the same ingredients though. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bleck, I can't stand the stuff. I do appreciate that you included skanks in the same list you included serial killers.

    ReplyDelete