Sunday, January 18, 2009

Busyness

I've achieved a blogging milestone: not posting for an entire week (the horror!). What is frustrating is that I actually do have a lot I could blog about because I've been so busy this past week; but because I've been so busy I have not had time to post anything new (do you see the irony). Generally my life is not highly scheduled (an understatement), however, I have had at least one thing (sometimes two) every night and the days have been uncharacteristically full also.

Peter with Adara & Kylie at the library

One of the culprits of my busyness is a project I'm working on for Young Women's (the girls ages 12-17) at church. A few weeks ago, I foolishy and naively (I want to emphasize the foolishly) volunteered to do the program for New Beginnings (a special activity and program that outlines and explains the Young Women's program, it's theme, motto, values, etc.). I got a really great idea from my Mom (who always seems to have really great ideas) that required me to take multiple photos of the girls in various situations. I will then use the photos in a PowerPoint presentation to illustrate the eight values. Of course I didn't really think about the difficulties of scheduling times to take these pictures with 30+ teenage girls. And I forgot how forgetful/unreliable they are sometimes. So for the last 3 days I've been tracking them down and listening to their excuses of how terrible they look (I wish I could as good as they do when they look "terrible"). On Friday I drove to different locations for some of the photos with 3 girls. Peter loved being with them (unless I went out of his sight). Fortunately, Ryan had Peter duty for the rest of my photo shoots.

On a related side note, it was eye opening to go inside so many people's homes in a short period of time. In just the past few days I've been in over 20 houses. I found it interesting that most of the homes were either clean and picked up or pretty messy, there didn't seem to much of a middle ground. (For the record, I'm not counting daily clutter and living as messy.) And every time I was invited in there was an immediate apology for the condition of the home whether it was messy or not (except at one house where I was worried I would disrupt the perfectly ordered living room simply by breathing). It seems that I'm not the only one suffering from the misconception that everyone else has a spotless home. If anything this New Beginnings project has helped alleviate my feelings of inferiority in regards to my housekeeping—now I know I'm not the only one who utters a ritual apology for my house when someone comes to the door.

3 comments:

  1. There's a line from, "Devil Wears Prada," (Book! not wretched movie) that sums up this. Unfortunatly, I can't remember the exact quote, so you'll have to make do with a paraphrase. [Every woman is perfectly able to assess every one else's weight and figure, yet when she looks in the mirror all she sees is a grotesque wildebeest." Or something like that. The same observation applies to the state of other people's homes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My OCD really kicked in when I read your blog. Early on in my married life I swore that my house would always be in top condition for those who "just stopped by". It drove me crazy and still does. Kudos to those who can just walk over the clothes or newspapers on the floor. But then my kids thank me over and over that they had a clean house to live in.
    Good luck on your project with the YW, I'm sure it will be a huge success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristin! I'm glad you've been busy. Sounds like fun. Is YW your calling now? Does Peter usually participate in YW activities? I miss you!

    ReplyDelete