Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Nicest Thing in My Kitchen

Well, for Christmas I received a cutting board that actually makes me want to be in my kitchen doing something other than heating up soup or pouring a bowl of cereal! Cooking is my least favorite domestic task (yes, I view it as a task and/or a necessary evil) but I just might have to start doing it more so I can use this cutting board. My wonderful (and obviously very talented) friend Faith actually made this.

Unfortunately, my sub par photography doesn't truly capture how beautiful the craftsmanship is and definitely doesn't show how smooth the wood is (I've had bed sheets that didn't come close to being this smooth!). It is truly a beautiful piece made from walnut, cherry, and maple and put together with the end grain facing up. It is not an exaggeration to say that the addition of this cutting board has classed up my kitchen. Thank you Faith!

I'm in awe of Faith's exceptional woodworking skills. She's been taking a woodworking class for years and has made numerous pieces of furniture (including her son's crib!). I recently decided that I would take the class with her this semester (it starts at the end of this month), but I must admit that now I'm even more intimidated than I was. I guess I will be Faith's foil in the class.

3 comments:

  1. *blush* I'm glad you like it! I'm really looking forward to going to class with you; it's going to be super fun!

    And don't worry, if you don't get more into cooking you can always use it as a serving tray for take-out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FWIW, I'm trying to get Kristin to hang it on the wall as a piece of art. It's so impressive, it also seems a shame to use a knife on it. It may be the 3d or 4th nicest thing in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Won't Opa and your dad be so proud of you, putting the family trade into practice!
    The cutting board is beautiful. Does she sell her pieces?

    ReplyDelete