Monday, December 15, 2008

The Modern Age:
iPod Meme

Ryan and Peter enjoying some music on Ryan's iPod

Do you remember those awesome cootie catchers that all the girls did in elementary school? Somehow we all thought that a piece of precisely folded paper, sparkly gel pens and embarrassing questions were the key to our inner selves and future. Basically it was a playground magic 8 ball. Well, now that I am adult I no longer believe in the powers of cootie catchers (last week Ryan explained to me the truth about those). So I have turned to the wisdom of an Internet meme. I first saw this particular iPod meme a few months ago on a friend's blog and have since seen it in several different incarnations. Since I am in desperate need of cosmic guidance and introspection (my psychic is on vacation) I thought I would give this a whirl.

Put your iPod on Shuffle and hit play. For each question (they're in italics), press the next button to get your answer. The song title is the answer to the question. You must write down the name of the song no matter how silly it sounds! No cheating! Put any comments in brackets after the song name.

If someone says, “Is this okay?” I say?
"Lets Call It Off (Single Mix)" by Pete Bjorn & John
[Apparently I’m either afraid of commitment or have unrealistic expectations of perfection.]

How would I describe myself?
"A Time to be So Small" by Interpol
[How does my iPod know I hate being short? Is my Napoleon complex that obvious?]

How do I feel today?
"Holiday in Spain/Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows[Okay, so I don’t ever remember hearing this song before and now that I’m listening to it I’ve decided that this will be the last time. But I would like to have a holiday in Spain.]

What's my life's purpose?
"Breathe" by Prodigy
[Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence! My iPod hates me.]

What's my theme song?
"Let’s Face the Music and Dance" by Frank Sinatra
[Interesting. I’m usually a run and hide kind of person. And my dancing? The less said about it the better (this girl’s got no rhythm).]

What does everyone else think my theme song is?
"Behind the Wheel" by Depeche Mode
[As a control freak I don't like to be a passenger, at least a quiet one. Do what I say!]

What do my friends think of me?
"Little Things" by Bush
[Hmmm…multiple ways to take this. 1. They all think I’m short (what does my iPod have against short people?); 2. They think I do very little for them; 3. Or according to the lyrics “the little things that kill,” my friends think I’m a psycho killer. I think I’ll take number 1]

What do I think of my friends?
"Pinball Wizard" by the Who
[Really, you should see them in action.]

What do I think of my parents?
"Dancing in Heaven" by Q Feel
[Well, my parents aren’t dead. But since there is no song on my iPod entitled “They are way awesome” I guess this will have to do. The funny thing about this song is whenever I hear it I flashback to me bouncing up and down in the backseat of my mom’s VW Rabbit with this song on the car radio.]

What do I think about very often?
"So Much Things to Say" by Bob Marley
[I guess there’s too many things that I think about that I can only tell you there are a lot of things. Also, I think all these things with bad grammar.]

What is 2+2?
"Photograph" by Weezer
[I always take photos of myself solving complex arithmetic problems—I need proof that I can do 1st grade math.]

What do I think of my best friend?
"Full Fathom Five" by the Stone Roses
[That doesn’t even make sense.]

What do I think of the person I like?
"Takin’ Care of Business" by Bachman Turner Overdrive
[So that’s probably more information than you wanted to know about Ryan and me!]

What do I think of when I see the person I like?
"Cold Brains" by Beck
[Crap, now I’m in trouble. I just want to say that this is a silly little meme and means absolutely nothing. I love you Ryan (plus I think you have HOT brains.]

What's my life story?
"1973" by James Blunt
[Well since I wasn’t born in 1973 maybe this means something that happened in 1973 is my life story. So here’s a sampling of important events from that year: Nixon’s 2nd inauguration, Roe v. Wade, Vietnam War ends, Watergate, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd released, the Yom Kippur War.]

What do I want to be when I grow up?
"Knights of Cydonia" by Muse
[I love this song. It would be pretty cool to be a Knight of Cydonia—then I’d could hang out with Muse.]

What will I dance to at my wedding?
"Brand New Colony" by The Postal Service
[I hope this doesn’t mean I will be married again. I’m quite pleased with the colony Ryan and I have started.]

What will they play at my funeral?
"Here With Me" by Dido
[I guess I will be a ghost.]

How will I be remembered?
"One Slip" by Pink Floyd
[Is this referring to my death (I am a klutz) or to my parents one slip up? The fact this song is on the album entitled, "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" lends credence to the parents theory. I'm a mistake.]

What is my hobby/interest?
"This is the Place" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
[Is that referring to my computer or to my house? Well, I guess both are true.]

What is my biggest fear?
"High" by James Blunt
[Another multi-pronged answer; is it referring to heights or marijuana? Neither scares me, but I’m a little perturbed with my iPod because I don’t even really like James Blunt and yet he pops up twice on this.]

What is my biggest secret?
"Linger" by The Cranberries
[If you stick around I’ll tell you.]

How can I make myself happy?
"In the Arms of Sleep" by The Smashing Pumpkins
[I know my dad will probably accuse me of cheating on this one but I didn't. I love sleep, sleep makes me happy! And now I have the blessing of the iTunes meme to sleep as much as I want or at least as much as Peter will let me.]

What should I do with my life?
"One Night in Bangkok" by Murray Head
[Shoot, I was hoping for some real guidance here and instead I got a partial vacation itinerary. I feel cheated; I want more than one night.]

What is some good advice for me?
"Aliens Exist" by Blink-182
[In the next few weeks I will be moving to Roswell, New Mexico to take take a job at the UFO Museum and Research Center. There I will be able to combine my degree in Art History and Curatorial Studies with my new belief in aliens. Please plan on visiting me, I would love to have visitors (including those of an extraterrestrial nature.)]

What will I post this as?
"The Modern Age" by The Strokes
[Hey, that’s kind of cute because only in the modern age could I be doing a meme for my blog using my iPod.]

Now that I'm done I'm thinking that maybe this has the same reliabilty factor as a cootie catcher. But then again I probably feel that way because I’m still ticked about the James Blunt repeat (you’d think that with almost 10,000 songs I wouldn’t have any repeat artists) and the Counting Crows' song. And I’ve probably offended Ryan. I guess my iPod doesn’t know me very well (except for the whole short thing). I better finish this post; I need to find a 4th grade girl to reteach me how to make a cootie catcher.

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious & very entertaining. I loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My version also had a lot of artist repeats. I claim its evidence that the Apple shuffling algorithm must be faulty.

    I don't think there are enough people studying the art of aliens. You'll revolutionize the field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a lot of fun. My problem is that I have not come up into the 21st century, I don't have an ipod. But I do remember how much fun cootie catchers were and all the versions we came up with. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete