Monday, June 1, 2009

That Kind of Mom

One day last week Peter decided he wanted to go outside after eating. As I watched him play in the backyard I had a horrible realization: I'm "that" kind of mom! You know the kind that lets her kids run around half-naked in filthy clothes with slimy faces and sticky hands. So I apologize to all those mothers I've observed over the years with unkempt and questionably dressed children. I'm sorry I thought bad things about you and now I understand. Sometimes you just have to let your kid run around with no pants, an oatmeal dotted shirt, snow boots (Peter INSISTED he wear those), sticky peach juice hands, snot-covered face and hair containing remnants of the last meal.

Yes, Peter stopped himself when he noticed the water on the slide. I guess he thought he was already dirty enough.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I could have written this post myself (minus the snow boots). Isn't it amazing how being a mother opens your eyes and your mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Peter was in your backyard, not the mall. There is a difference. Be thankful that he had clothes on. Krista use to go out the front door with "only" shoes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look on the bright side: at least he wasn't watching Handy Manny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I know I will be that way sooner than I want. He still looks so stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, at least he has a shirt on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And then I would get picked up by the cops, naked! I know I am going to be "that kind of parent" too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our version involved rain galoshes and a hot pink doll stroller, but otherwise I am right there with you!

    ReplyDelete